Steve “Doc” Hopkins. Doc is the owner of Doc’s Harley-Davidson® in Bonduel, Wis. This Harley dealership is like others you’ve seen, but different. It has a bike showroom, an accessories and apparel store and a repair shop. But, how many Harley dealers have a zoo, a muscle car museum and a pirate ship?
Doc’s Classic Car & Cycle Museum is free and it’s packed with cool motorcycles and 1960s American muscle cars, plus automobilia such as gas station signs, petroliana like gas pumps and many other collectibles.
Visitors often become “lost in time” as they enter the collection through the bi-fold doors of a real 1938 Standard gas station that has been reassembled on one wall of the museum! The gas station is complete with its original lighted Standard sign. Also on display is an authentic 1928 Milwaukee Pump Works visible gas pump that looks ready to vend gasoline at old-fashioned prices.
A grouping of motorcycles across from the museum entrance is highlighted by a 1947 Harley FL Knucklehead that Doc restored.
In addition to bikes, some cars in the museum include a ’67 Pontiac GTO convertible, a ’51 MG TD roadster, a ’71 ‘Cuda 440 convertible, a ’64 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 convertible with Tri-Power, a ’69 GTO “The Judge” hardtop, an Amphicar, a ’58 Isetta (kind of a cross between a cycle and a car), a ’68 Shelby GT 500KR fastback, a ‘ Olds Toronado, a ’69-1./2 Plymouth Road Runner, a ’70 Hemi ‘Cuda hardtop, a big-block ’69 Camaro RS/SS convertible and a “1965” Superformance AC Cobra that was built in South Africa.
The museum is less than an hour from Old Cars Weekly headquarters in Iola, Wis. Any collectors or car clubs planning to be in Shawano County/Bonduel area in 2015 can contact Doc’s Harley-Davidson, W2709 State Highway 29, Bonduel, WI 54107. Call 715-758-9080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For a peek at the place, visit www.docshd.com.