SEMA legislative update:
Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Reintroduced in New York
SEMA model legislation to create a vehicle titling and registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles has been reintroduced in the New York State Assembly. Introduced by Assemblyman Bill Reilich, the bill (A.B. 2073) defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. Under the bill, kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble. An identical bill has been introduced in the New York State Senate (S.B. 201).
We Urge You to Contact Members of the New York Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for A.B. 2073
· A.B. 2073 provides specific registration (one-time registration fee of $23) and titling classes for street rods and customs, including kits and replicas.
· A.B. 2073 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
· A.B. 2073 exempts street rods and customs from a range of standard equipment requirements (only that equipment required in the model year that the vehicle resembles) and emissions inspections.
· A.B. 2073 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may only be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
· A.B. 2073 provides for special license plates for street rods and custom vehicles and permits the use of blue dot taillights.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge their support for A.B. 2073.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
New York Assembly Transportation Committee
Assemblymember David Gantt – Chair
Assemblymember Marcos Crespo
Assemblymember Michael Cusick
Assemblymember Michael DenDekker
Assemblymember Dennis Gabryszak
Assemblymember Sam Hoyt
Assemblymember Tony Jordan
Assemblymember George Latimer
Assemblymember Donna Lupardo
Assemblymember Alan Maisel
Assemblymember David McDonough
Assemblymember Joan Millman
Assemblymember Dean Murray
Assemblymember Nick Perry
Assemblymember Bill Reilich
Assemblymember Michelle Schimel
Assemblymember Fred Thiele
Assemblymember Matthew Titone
Assemblymember Lou Tobacco
Assemblymember Harvey Weisenberg