SEMA Action Network Update:
Washington State Pro-Hobbyist Inoperable Vehicle Bill to be Considered by Committee on Monday, Jan. 28
A version of SEMA model legislation (S.B. 5121) to prohibit cities or towns from enforcing an ordinance, development regulation, zoning regulation, or administrative practice that prevents automobile collectors from pursuing their hobby will be considered by the Senate Governmental Operations Committee on Monday, January 28. Junked, wrecked or inoperable vehicles stored on private property would only require screening from public view. Under the bill, six or fewer vehicles that are 30 years old or older, including one parts car, would be permitted for hobby vehicle restoration as long as restoration is an ancillary use of the property. If you have not yet contacted committee members to voice your support, now is the time to do so.
We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Governmental Operations Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 5121
· S.B. 5121 would permit the repair or modification of motor vehicles on private property that are undergoing restoration.
· S.B. 5121 would permit the maintenance of a parts car as a source of parts for motor vehicles undergoing restoration.
· S.B. 5121 permits the maintenance for restoration of vehicles 30 years old and older, which corresponds to the state’s definition of “collector vehicles.”
· S.B. 5121 establishes reasonable provisions that vehicles be located out of public view by means of suitable fencing, trees, shrubbery or other means.
· S.B. 5121 demonstrates a real effort by legislators and hobbyists to enact reasonable and fair compromise legislation.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Senate Governmental Operations Committee to request their support for S.B. 5121. Thank you for your assistance.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at email@example.com. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Washington Senate Governmental Operations Committee
To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:
firstname.lastname@example.org; Don.Benton@leg.wa.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Steve.Conway@leg.wa.gov; Karen.Fraser@leg.wa.gov; Ann.Rivers@leg.wa.gov
Senator Pam Roach (Chair)
Senator Don Benton (Vice Chair)
Senator Bob Hasegawa
Senator John Braun
Senator Steve Conway
Senator Karen Fraser
Senator Ann Rivers