SEMA ACTION NETWORK
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)
Washington Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Passes House; Sent to Governor for Approval
In the last step of the legislative process, SEMA model legislation to create a vehicle titling and registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles has been sent to Washington State Governor Chris Gregoire for her signature and enactment into law. The bill (S.B. 5585) defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 30 years old and manufactured after 1948. Kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
We Urge You to Contact Washington Governor Chris Gregoire (Contact Info Below) Immediately to Request Support for S.B. 5585
· S.B. 5585 provides specific registration and titling classes for street rods and customs, including kits and replicas.
· S.B. 5585 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
· S.B. 5585 exempts street rods and customs from a range of standard equipment requirements (only that equipment required in the model year that the vehicle resembles) and emissions inspections.
· S.B. 5585 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may only be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
· S.B. 5585 permits the use of blue dot taillights.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact Governor Gregoire today to request her support for S.B. 5585.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Governor Chris Gregoire