Story and photos by Al Rogers
Many of the finest muscle cars and Corvettes on the globe were assembled in a “World Class” setting for the 2012 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals. Bob Ashton, Managing Member MCACN LLC, and his staff work year-round to make it all possible.
A total of 550 examples traveled from the U.S. and Canada to the Donald E. Stephens convention center in Rosemont, Ill., for the two-day event held the third weekend in November. Reliable Carriers dispatched roughly two dozen of their rigs to transport more than 120 cars.
During the two-day event more than 20,000 muscle car enthusiasts made their way through the gates to take in the happenings. They were in for a treat.
Each of the automobile manufacturers from the ’60s and ’70s had muscle car examples with their nameplates represented at the 2012 event. Among the most significant gatherings was a group of Aero Warriors. The owners from Mopar and Ford brought their Superbirds, Talladegas, Daytonas, Cyclone Spoilers and Charger 500′s then paired them up in this sequence to stand shoulder to shoulder. To witness this ensemble first hand was truly and eye-opening experience.
Not to be overshadowed a grouping of Yenko powered GM products filled 61 slots that amazed the muscle car masses.
The Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals serves as a tool for car owners to share their cars with enthusiasts. It also allows car builders/restorers an opportunity to showcase their talents. A yearly highlight at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals is the unveilings. For 2012, the event had the opportunity to pull the covers off several muscle cars. Among them:
· 1969 Hurst/Olds convertible presented by The Collection and restored by Level One Restoration.
· 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6 convertible presented by Doug Reed and restored by Total Auto.
· 1966 Yenko Stinger (Canadian Export) presented by Mark Gillespie.
· 1968 Yenko Z/28 Camaro presented by Wayne Schmeeckle and restored by Supercar Workshop.
· 1972 Yenko Stinger Vega presented by Albaugh Collection.
· 1969 AMC Javelin XP presented by Terry Weiner AMC/Ya Group.
· 1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula presented by the Sutton family and restored by Runrite Classics.
The “First Lady of Racing” Linda Vaughn – “Miss Hurst Golden Shifter” – was on hand for the unveiling of the 1969 Hurst/Olds convertible. It was a scene from the past when she made her way to the platform attached to the trunk lid holding the iconic Hurst Golden Shifter. A large crowd of spectators was on hand and gave their approval for the historic event as two icons reunited. It was a fitting way to kick off the unveilings and 2012 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals.
In addition to the car show, the annual event features a swap meet, car corral and Revel Models “Make and Take” hosted by C.A.R.S. Children – with encouragement and help from a parent(s) – build their own 1/25th scale plastic model cars. Once complete, the model car is theirs to take home.
Plans are under way by the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals team to make 2013 an eye opener. The event will have reached year five. Muscle car enthusiast can expect an event unlike the one from the previous year and unlike anything they’ve attended in the past at an indoor muscle car venue. Be on the lookout for a salute to the Pontiac Super Duty era, Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Car grouping and much more in 2013. It’s fair to expect the unexpected at this prestigious yearly Muscle Car event.
Enjoy more photo highlights from the 2012 MCACN:
Want to learn more about about the greatest muscle cars ever built? Check out our Muscle Car package, which includes:
- Standard Catalog of American Muscle Cars 1960-1972 CD: In this American muscle car guide, John Gunnell brings you this convenient CD resource with muscle car details and information.
- Nothin’ But Muscle: In this muscle car collection, the Editors of Old Cars Weekly take you through the greatest muscle cars ever built.
- Muscle Car: The Art of Power: In this muscle car lookbook, John Gunnell brings your in-depth coverage of your favorite muscle cars.