The Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d’Elegance, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing automotive and motorsports enthusiast event weeks, announces the newest additions to its 2015 schedule of events. The inaugural Flights & Fancy Aeroport Gala, to be held at the Hilton Head Island Airport, will feature an exclusive VIP cocktail hangar party on Friday evening, Oct. 30, and the Aero Expo on Saturday, Oct. 31.
Both events will showcase a unique collection of vintage and historical aircraft alongside the newest airplanes from sponsors such as Cirrus. Automotive manufacturers with aviation heritage, including BMW and Volvo, will also be on display.
BMW is celebrating three significant milestones, including its 100th anniversary of BMW worldwide in 2016, the 40th anniversary of BMW in North America and the 20th anniversary of BMW Manufacturing in South Carolina. A special exhibit will honor one significant vehicle from each decade, including a 1930’s-era BMW 328 Roadster, an original E30 M3 with its iconic wings and flares, a 850csi (one of only 200 imported to the U.S.), and the very latest luxury entry from the German manufacturer, the all-new 2016 7 Series debuting this coming October at the Frankfurt Auto Show.
Aircraft as well as vehicles will be on display both Friday evening and Saturday during event hours, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (access included with admission to the Car Club Showcase). Some of the aircraft visitors can expect to see include:
- 1928 Ford Motor Company Tri-Motor 5-AT-B from EAA, Inc. (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) first flown on Dec. 1, 1928 and used for Grand Canyon tours from February to December of 1937.
- 1936 Waco YKS-6 from James Wilson (Cross, South Carolina), one of only 65 made of this particular model.
- 1938 Lockheed 12 A Electra from David Marco (Jacksonville, Florida) was one of only 125 built as Lockheed stopped production to build aircraft for World War II.
- 1943 Boeing PT-13D from Scott Martin (Hilton Head Island, South Carolina) primarily used as a trainer for World War II Air Corps and Navy pilots.
- 1946 Globe Swift GC-1B from Steven Roth (Madison, Virginia), perhaps one of the most modified production aircraft and often described as “snowflakes,” as no two are alike.
Each vintage airplane will be paired with a Concours-caliber car from the same era. The cars will also be presented at the Concours d’Elegance on Sunday, Nov. 1. Some notable vehicles scheduled to appear include:
- 1926 Lincoln L Type 130 Boat-Tail Speedster from Robert S. Jepson, Jr. (Savannah, Georgia originally owned by Henry Harper, founder & president of the National Lincoln Club.
- 1933 Chrysler Custom Imperial Phaeton from Joseph and Margie Cassini, III (West Orange, New Jersey), personal car of renowned automotive designer Ralph Roberts, equipped to his order as a gift to his wife.
- Selection of aviation-inspired vehicles from the Lane Motor Museum (Nashville, Tennessee), including a 1920 Peugeot Propeller Bicycle, a 1930 L’Éclair and a1932 Helicron.
“Wings and wheels enthusiasts have always shared a passion for innovative design, technology and performance,” said Carolyn Vanagel, president of the Hilton Head IslandMotoring Festival. “That’s why we’re pleased to add this newest event for our expected 20,000 visitors.”
For more information on the Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d’Elegance, visit the official website at www.HHIMotoringFestival.com. Tickets for the 2015Motoring Festival, including the Flights & Fancy Aeroport Gala starting at $150, are available for sale online at www.HHIMotoringFestival.com/tickets.
ABOUT THE HILTON HEAD ISLAND MOTORING FESTIVAL & CONCOURS D’ELEGANCE:
The Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d’Elegance will celebrate its 14th year in the fall of 2015. The Festival kicks off with the Savannah Speed Classic, Oct. 23 – 25, on the Grand Prize of America road course situated on the property of The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. The festivities will continue on Hilton HeadIsland, South Carolina, Oct. 31 – Nov. 1, at Port Royal Golf Club where the Concours d’Elegance (Nov. 1) will take center stage. Motoring Festival Partners for the 2015Festival include the Port Royal Golf Club, The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, the Hilton Head Island/Bluffton Chamber of Commerce and Visit Savannah. For more information, visit www.HHIMotoringFestival.com online.