Dana Mecum isn’t afraid to put a little of his own muscle behind his annual spring auction.
The president of Mecum Auction will offer his ultra rare collection of 1960s-era Pontiacs during the 23rd Dana Mecum Original Spring Classic Auction, May 19-23, in Indianapolis, Ind.
“I started in the automotive business selling new Pontiacs with my dad,” Mecum said, “so the brand has always been special to me. This particular collection features a variety of Pontiacs that are rare in both their style and significance…”
The Pontiac Collection will be sold individually during the Mecum auction, which will be broadcast live on national TV during “Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More” on Discovery Communications’ HD Theater cable network.
Mecum will be thinning his own collection with the sale of five Pontiacs, to include the following:
* Lot S111 – 1963 Pontiac Catalina 421 Super Duty Swiss Cheese. This car was the first of 14 Swiss Cheese Super Duty Pontiacs produced and is from the Randy Williams Collection.
* Lot S112 – 1963 Pontiac Tempest Station Wagon, which is the only model left of the six Super Duty Wagons that were built. This car is also from the Randy Williams Collection.
* Lot S113 – 1963 Pontiac Tempest Coupe 421 Super Duty. One of only six Super Duty Coupes built and the only complete example still in existence today.
* Lot S114 – 1965 Pontiac GTO known as “The GeeTO Tiger.” The holy grail of GTOs, this car was given away as a contest grand prize during the ’65 NHRA Indy Nationals. It features gold Hurst wheels and a gold Hurst shifter.
* Lot S115 – 1965 Pontiac GTO Hurst Riverside 500 Pace Car, which was originally purchased by Motor Trend and George Hurst of Hurst Performance Products. It is the only surviving pace car from the Riverside 500.
Mecum’s Pontiac Collection joins 1,750 vehicles that will go up for bid at the Original Spring Classic Auction. The event is open to the general public and tickets are available at the door for $10.
Consignment, bidder, event and accommodation information is available online at www.Mecum.com or by calling 815.568.8888.
MORE RESOURCES FOR CAR COLLECTORS FROM OLDCARSWEEKLY.COM