Among America’s new cars and trucks launched in 2011, the Chevrolet Volt will become the most desired by future car collectors. That is the prediction of the Friends of the National Automotive History Collection (NAHC).
Members of the organization, which supports the famous automotive collection at the Detroit Public Library, vote annually to predict the “Collectible Vehicle of the Future” from each year’s new North American-built cars and trucks. The Volt was selected from 23 all-new vehicles launched in 2011.
The award will be presented to Chevrolet executives by the Friends of theNAHC at their annual holiday reception on Dec. 8 at the NAHC’s quarters in the Skillman Branch Library in downtown Detroit.
Previous winners are:
- 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
- 2009 Ford Flex
- 2008 Dodge Challenger
- 2007 Dodge Viper SRT10
- 2006 Pontiac Solstice
- 2005 Ford Mustang
- 2004 Chrysler 300
- 2003 Dodge Viper
- 2002 Ford Thunderbird
- 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
- 1995 Buick Riviera and Oldsmobile Aurora
(None selected from 1997 to 2001)
Charles K. Hyde, chairman of the NAHC Board of Trustees, said, “This selection is unique among all the ‘Vehicle of the Year’ awards, because it is selected by ‘car buffs’ who know what future collectors will value. We asked our members to predict which of this year’s new vehicles will turn heads in the Woodward Cruise of 2036.”
Got Old Cars?
If you don’t subscribe to Old Cars Weekly magazine, you’re missing out on the only weekly magazine in the car hobby. And we’ll deliver 54 issues a year right to your mailbox every week for less than the price of a oil change! Click here to see what you’re missing with Old Cars Weekly!
More Resources for Car Collectors:
- Classic car price guides, research, books, back issues of Old Cars Weekly & more
- Get expert restoration advice for your classic car
- Get car pricing, data and history all in one place
- Sign up for Old Cars Weekly’s FREE email newsletter
- Need to buy or sell your classic car? Looking for parts or memorabilia? Search our huge online classified marketplace