Legendary automotive artist Dave Bell dies

raustin |

Street Rod Association Member #45 and legendary automotive artist David J. “Dave” Bell, age 72, of Falcon Heights, Minn., died May 5.

Bell is considered a pioneer in the field of automotive art. His works have spanned 50 years and have appeared on T-shirts, posters, vehicles and in hundreds of magazines across the globe. He also made guest appearances at car shows across the country.

Originally of Austin, Minn., he is survived by: Lynn, his beloved wife and best friend; five step-children; 13 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren; as well as countless friends, associates and admirers.

Visitation is 4-8 p.m. May 10 at THE ROSEVILLE MEMORIAL CHAPEL 2245 No. Hamline Ave. (1 Blk. So. Hwy #36 Roseville, 55113 651/631-2727). Mass of Christian Burial will be 10 a.m. May 11tat ST. ROSE of LIMA Catholic Church, 2048 No. Hamline Ave. followed by a reception. Private interment later. Memorials are preferred.

10 Responses to Legendary automotive artist Dave Bell dies

1. anthony says:

I know is Works of Automotive Art will live on. RIP.

2. Rest in Peace Dave!

Our family has been friends for years…. My father to this day owns Dave’s 1957 Triumph chopper. We plan to bring it to the wake. For my 16th birthday my father had Dave do an original piece of art for me!

Dave was a true leader in the automobilia art world… only to be copied… There will never be another!

Scott Chantland

• Chris Kuefler says:

I’ve always wondered where that bike went. I will be excited to see it again. I rode on the back of that bike a few times as a kid.

3. Sandy Colatskie says:

rest in peace you will be missed

4. My prayers for Dave and Lynn. They are great people and I always enjoyed being with them in St Ignace. His contribution to the hobby is tremendous. Dave you will be missed.
    My deepest sympathy to Lynn and the kids

5. Judi & Don Bohnenkamp says:

Lynn & Family, Dave was a wonderful man, as well as a great artist. We will treasure memories of him and his art work forever. Our thoughts & prayers are with you at this time. God be with you all. Take care, Judi & Don

6. Jim Gates says:

A truly inspiring and talented artist… you will be greatly missed by the legions of automotive artist that you’ve silently created, myself included. Rest now “Henry Hi Rise”, you’re work here is done.

7. Dave was my favorite pinstriper. Saw a bunch of his work when I went to the ’81 NSRA Nats in Columbus, Oh. Blew me away!

8. Minnesota lost a good man and a great artist, I did’nt know Dave on a personal level but I followed his art ever since I was a kid. I could”nt wait until my Street Rodder magazine to show up each month and to find out what ol’ Henry Hi Rise was up to. He was a real influence to me, Dave and his art will be dearly missed, Prayers go out to his family and friends.

9. chuck lundquist says:

I used to tune the Triumph for Dave and one time while test riding it by the lake, a cop started after me so I had to ditch him. It was quite a ride. thru the park and over the creek and down an ally where i parked the bike and looked down the ally and there he was. I took off on foot and called the bike in as stolen. Cop took me back to the bike and I drove off. Lucky i was. Dave was a good friend and I have some departing art as I left Mpls and to Cal in 68. Will miss the guy. Chuck