TV newsman Geraldo Rivera lost two old friends when a garage fire destroyed a pair of '54 Jaguars that he owned. The cars were slightly different models, but were finished in the same colors. Rivera has owned one of the Jaguars since the 1970s and said they were like family members. No foul play is suspected in the blaze, which is believed to have started due to a short in the electrical wiring. The fire threw up dramatic blue flames from the Rivera garage, but no one was hurt.
High-profile fires like this are always a reminder that storing collector cars should include a garage safety check for fire threats and other safety issues. Many cars go into storage at this time of year and it's important to make sure that fuel and electrical systems are properly shut off.
Stay tuned to Old Cars Weekly for an upcoming issue that will focus on winter storage tips.