Larry Watson with his first creation, his custom 1950
Chevrolet two-door sedan, “Grapevine”.
Custom car legend Larry Watson died July 20. Watson had recently been diagnosed with a brain tumor and was undergoing treatment. He died just one day shy of his 71st birthday.
Watson was a famous West Coast artist who applied his talent to metal beginning in 1955 at the age of 16. He is probably best known for his first paint job, his custom 1950 Chevrolet two-door sedan, nicknamed “Grapevine”.
Watson had retired to Apple Valley, Calif., where he was working on his private museum.
Following is a photo tribute to the colorful career creations of Watson.
You may also be interested in:
- Muscle Car: the Art of Power
- Resto-Mod Muscle Cars, A Showcase of the World’s Best Builds Plus Ideas for Designing Your Own
More Resources For Car Collectors:
- Classic car price guides, research, books, back issues of Old Cars Weekly & more
- Get expert restoration advice for your classic car
- Get car pricing, data and history all in one place
- Sign up for Old Cars Weekly’s FREE email newsletter
- Need to buy or sell your classic car? Looking for parts or memorabilia? Search our huge online classified marketplace