SEMA ACTION NETWORK
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Introduced in Washington State
SEMA model legislation to create a vehicle titling and registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles has been introduced in the Washington State Legislature by Senator Mike Carrell (Carrell.firstname.lastname@example.org). The bill (S.B. 5585) defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. Under the bill, kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
We Urge You to Contact Members of the Washington State Senate Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 5585
• S.B. 5585 provides specific registration and titling classes for street rods and customs, including kits and replicas.
• S.B. 5585 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
• S.B. 5585 exempts street rods and customs from a range of standard equipment requirements (only that equipment required in the model year that the vehicle resembles) and emissions inspections.
• S.B. 5585 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may only be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
• S.B. 5585 permits the use of blue dot taillights.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Senate Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge their support for S.B. 5585.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at email@example.com. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Washington State Senate Transportation Committee
Senator Mary Margaret Haugen - Chair
Senator Scott White - Vice Chair
Senator Curtis King
Senator Joe Fain
Senator Jerome Delvin
Senator Tracey Eide
Senator Doug Ericksen
Senator Andy Hill
Senator Steve Hobbs
Senator Steve Litzow
Senator Sharon Nelson
Senator Margarita Prentice
Senator Kevin Ranker
Senator Tim Sheldon
Senator Paull Shin
Senator Dan Swecker