SEMA ACTION NETWORK
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)
Washington Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill
Approved by Senate; Moves to House
SEMA model legislation to create a vehicle titling and registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles was approved unanimously by the Washington State Senate and now moves to the House Transportation Committee for consideration. The bill (S.B. 5585) defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 30 years old and manufactured after 1948. Under the bill, kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
We Urge You to Contact Members of the Washington House Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 5585
• S.B. 5585 provides specific registration and titling classes for street rods and customs, including kits and replicas.
• S.B. 5585 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
• S.B. 5585 exempts street rods and customs from a range of standard equipment requirements (only that equipment required in the model year that the vehicle resembles) and emissions inspections.
• S.B. 5585 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may only be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
• S.B. 5585 permits the use of blue dot taillights.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Washington House Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge their support for S.B. 5585.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
House Transportation Committee
Representative Judy Clibborn - Chair
Representative Andy Billig - Vice Chair
Representative Marko Liias - Vice Chair
Representative Mike Armstrong
Representative Jan Angel
Representative Katrina Asay
Representative Deb Eddy
Representative Fred Finn
Representative Joe Fitzgibbon
Representative Mark Hargrove
Representative Laurie Jinkins
Representative Norm Johnson
Representative Brad Klippert
Representative Dan Kristiansen
Representative Connie Ladenburg
Representative Jim McCune
Representative Jim Moeller
Representative Jeff Morris
Representative Luis Moscoso
Representative Jason Overstreet
Representative Chris Reykdal
Representative Ann Rivers
Representative Jay Rodne
Representative Christine Rolfes
Representative Cindy Ryu
Representative Matt Shea
Representative Dean Takko
Representative Dave Upthegrove
Representative Hans Zeiger