A look at the transporters built by Pittsburgh’s Mayer Body Corp.
Photos from collection of Angelo Van Bogart
Little detailed information relating to Mayer Body Corp. and Mayer Truck Equipment of Pittsburgh, Pa., is floating in cyberspace and in reference books, but these photos testify to the company’s industrious nature. The company was apparently in business from 1917-1966 and was located at 204 Auburn Street. There, it built, finished and fitted its own bodies on various truck chassis, presumably under its Mayer Body Corp. wing. It also finished and fitted bodies of other manufacturers to truck chassis, presumably under its Mayer Truck Equipment banner.
Apparently, the company was prolific at photographing its work, and in addition to these images, more than 3,000 photographs and negatives of Mayer’s work are also on file at the University of Pittsburgh Library archive. However, written word of the company’s history is limited to the notes typed on the back of many of its images. Despite the lack of Mayer corporate information, many of those photos provide the details behind each truck build, presumably to illustrate and detail the available products to potential customers.
For truck hobbyists, the volume of images preserving Mayer corporate history is seemingly matched by the variety of bodies the company fitted during the 1930s. From dump bodies, to ice cream boxes to moving truck bodies and bakery containers, it appears many Pennsylvania-based companies trusted the work of Mayer to build, paint, letter and install the containers those businesses used to carry their precious cargo.
If you have a Mayer-bodied vehicle, or can provide additional information on the Pittsburgh company, please write to: Old Cars Weekly, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54990 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.