RM Sotheby’s will present an exceptional selection of newly-consigned lots which will join more than 100 collector cars in its Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction. The second European-based motor car sale to be held on the auction house’s proprietary Online Only platform, interested bidders will have the exclusive opportunity to swap wheels for waves with the addition of a genuinely unique 1968 Sonny Levi designed power boat – the “G. Cinquanta” G50, created new for charismatic Fiat boss, Gianni Agnelli.
Footage of the 1968 Sonny Levi “G. Cinquanta” G50 in action (Courtesy of RM Sotheby’s)
Elegant yet monstrously powerful, the “G. Cinquanta” was the product of the very latest in power boat engineering and design of its day. Commissioned by the much revered then President of Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia and Ferrari, Giovanni (Gianni) Agnelli, his passion for sea-faring craft saw him establish a collection of modern and vintage yachts, fast motor cruisers and racing speedboats. With a brief that demanded the boat to be quick and reliable while being able to negotiate mixed weather conditions on the ocean, whilst also offering comfort, prestigious marine designer, Renato “Sonny” Levi, created the 37ft “G. Cinquanta” G50 as the answer to Agnelli’s desires. Built to its exacting specification by Cantiere Delta in Anzio, Italy, the craft features a luxurious cabin penned by the iconic Sergio Pininfarina, with power courtesy of four legendary BPM 8.0-litre V-8 Vulcano engines totaling 1,280hp. Now updated with four new BPM V-8 Vulcano engines, producing even more power than the originals and perfectly capable of taking the G50 to its top running speed of 50 knots (92 km/h), there’s perhaps no more stylish way to arrive into the harbors of Monaco or Cannes .
Joining the Italian-built G50 for sale in Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction next week are a duo of similarly rare and stylish Italian sports cars. Delivered new to Austria, the sale will also offer a rare and majestic 1954 Fiat 8V Coupé, one of just 114 examples of the small but seriously stylish coupes produced, which built a reputation in motorsport and as an exclusive road car. The only Fiat ever to sport a V-8 engine, its relatively modest 2.0-litre displacement was more than made up for by its lightweight construction and aerodynamic profile. Offered for sale in exceptional condition, this lovely example is fitted with its original engine and a specially fabricated synchromesh gearbox, with the original gearbox also included with the sale of the vehicle. Brought to the UK in January 1965, the car has remained there ever since and has made frequent appearances at classic race meetings, including the 2015 Goodwood Revival’s Fordwater Trophy.
Effortlessly stylish and unapologetically glamorous, the exquisitely restored 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Pinin Farina is the epitome of a luxury grand touring sports car. Ferrari’s first pure road car targeted at achieving commercial success, the 3.0-litre Columbo V-12 took the 250 to just shy of 150mph and could reach 60mph from a standing start in just seven seconds. The example offered for sale in Online Only: Open Roads, The European Summer Auction was the 180 of 353 examples built and is a desirable Italian-delivered example. The vehicle benefits from a comprehensive restoration and is Ferrari Classiche certified.
But it’s not just Italian icons on offer. RM Sotheby’s is delighted to offer a 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss, one of the rarest supercars ever created. The SLR Stirling Moss serves as a modern homage to the truly exceptional Mercedes 300 SLR that Sir Stirling Moss piloted to victory in the 1955 Mille Miglia and offers all the visual drama of the original 300 SLR. The 5.5-litre supercharged AMG V-8 used in the SLR 722 produces an astounding 641bhp resulting in a 354km/h top speed. This car, delivered new in special-order Antimony Grey Crystal over black leather interior, has been meticulously cared for throughout its life and has followed in the footsteps of its ancestors by taking part in the 2012 Mercedes-Benz 1000 Miglia challenge.
The auction will also play host to a small but diverse collection of five cars, carefully assembled by a passionate German enthusiast with each offered individually without reserve. An outstanding demonstration of Europe’s wide-ranging automotive landscape, the collection comprises:
- A British bruiser, the 1978 Aston Martin V8 Volante retains its factory Madagascar Brown paint and Natural VM leather piped in dark tan. Delivered new to its first owner in 1978, the car was imported into Germany in 1994 and converted to European specification, where it has been regularly exercised and lovingly maintained;
- The perfect platform for the torque-heavy 5.3-litre V-12, a 1973 Jaguar E-Type Series 3 V-12 Roadster finished in ‘triple black’ and has benefited from a complete engine rebuild by a German E-Type specialist and has had more than €40,000 of work over the last six years;
- Delivered new to Italy in silver and benefiting from the restoration of its lightweight aluminum bodywork in the 1990s, the now-red 1964 Maserati Mistral 3.7 Coupe is one of just 383 units produced and retains its original engine;
- A taste of the future – 1970s style; the Aston Martin Lagonda broke new ground with its ‘folded paper’ design language and avant-garde interior. This 1983 example is presented in the original specification of Cannock Black paintwork, black interior and black carpet; the current owner has carried out extensive maintenance work to make the car useable on a daily basis (offered without reserve);
- The undisputed chic Parisian icon, the 1971 Citroen DS Pallas is presented in desirable black on black with optional leather upholstery and rare five-speed transmission.
- Each car offered in the Online Only auction will be presented with an unprecedented amount of documentation, information and photography alongside condition reports completed by RM Sotheby’s specialists. Whenever available, additional information on each lot, such as history files, production certificates, restoration documentation, service invoices, owner’s manuals, and accompanying parts will be viewable online, once logged in, by clicking the “View Files” button on the individual lot page.
Interested bidders are invited to contact RM Sotheby’s via its European Office. Learn more at rmsothebys.com.
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world's largest collector car auction house by total sales. With 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from auctions (live and online) and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of Car Specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby’s is currently responsible for six of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction.
RM Sotheby’s launched its Online Only division in 2019, providing consignors and bidders an easy-to-use, proprietary platform that allows faster transactions to take place while still harnessing the level of service and global reach for which the RM Sotheby’s team is known. For further information, visit rmsothebys.com.
*As an Amazon Associate, Old Cars earns from qualifying purchases.