As has been the case for the past 16 years, including the 2011 version, Old Cars Weekly is inviting its readers to have their collector vehicles try out for the Old Cars 2012 Collectors' Edition calendar. Deadline to submit images is March 25.
Will your vehicle be pictured in the 2012 Old Cars calendar? Not if you don’t submit a high-quality color slide/digital image, now!
It’s that time again! Just as the Old Cars Weekly staff has invited readers to submit color slides/transparencies/digital images of their vehicles for use in the 16 previous Collectors’ Edition calendars, we are now inviting submissions for our 2012 calendar.
Each of the 1996-2011 Old Cars calendars has been a showcase for Old Cars readers’ vehicles. It all began with an editorial that ran in the March 30, 1995, issue of Old Cars Weekly News & Marketplace that asked readers to submit color slides of their collector vehicles to be considered for use in the (then) proposed Old Cars 1996 Centennial calendar. That initial inquiry drew 207 responses! From that number, Old Cars staff members not only selected enough “calendar quality” images to create the 1996 calendar, but also its successor, the Old Cars 1997 Collectors’ Edition calendar.
From 1998 through the call for images for the 2011 calendar done in early-2010, submissions have averaged between 120 and 225 annually. Will your vehicle be included among those 13 (one cover and 12 monthly) images that make the “final cut” for use in the 2012 calendar?
How and what to submit
As noted, the 175 submissions received for the 2011 calendar were reduced to 13 finalists. Various criteria were used in eliminating the images that were not used. Often these involved avoiding duplication of marque, model, color, or era, and had nothing to do with the quality or composition of the images presented. In the elimination process, however, we learned a lot about what we would like not to see in a calendar submission. The following, then, are “do’s and don’ts” to refer to when preparing your submission:
1) We are interested only in high-quality, color slides/transparencies or digital submissions (see sidebar for digital format) of collector vehicles from every era of manufacture through 1987. Those with newer collector vehicles, please be patient and wait for possible participation in future Old Cars calendars. Please note that snapshots, photocopies, drawings, paintings, or any media other than color slides/transparencies or digital images will not be considered. Also, do not submit a slide made from a photograph as the resulting image is too grainy to use when enlarged to calendar page size.
2) In making the selections, emphasis will be placed on vehicles of American manufacture, but outstanding examples of widely collected imported marques will also be considered.
3) Each submission should depict a single, completely stock, unmodified from factory original vehicle (no multiple vehicle shots) with no visible objects mounted on the dashboard or suspended from the rearview mirror, and should contain no people, pets, trophies, or window stickers.
4) Each vehicle should be photo-graphed against a pleasant and appropriate, non-distracting background.
Obviously, all vehicles submitted cannot be used in this single calendar. A panel comprised of Old Cars staff members will make the final selections. Consideration will be given to — among other factors — quality of photographic reproduction, vehicular variety, and an appropriate mix of marques, models, and eras. Please be aware that the images selected will be enlarged to achieve calendar size and any “grainy” appearance would be magnified. Only the sharpthe sharpest and clearest images can be used.
In reviewing the hundreds of vehicle images submitted over the past 16 years, it occurred to Old Cars staffers that it was a shame to restrict their use to calendars only. So, as was done last year, we ask that you indicate whether or not you are willing to allow us to make our own copies to keep on file for other than calendar use. Such uses might include book and periodical covers, color plates, catalogs, show posters, newsletters, and promotional materials — among others.
Eligibility is restricted to readers of Old Cars Weekly News & Marketplace and Old Cars Price Guide. Owners of the vehicles depicted in the calendar will be identified, and each will receive five free copies of the 2012 calendar. Each submission should be accompanied by the name(s), address, and phone number of the owner(s), as well as the year, marque, model, and body type of the vehicle depicted. To be eligible for consideration, all submissions must be received in our offices no later than March 25, 2011.
Digital submission rules
The images should be 300 dpi and saved as a jpg, tiff or raw image. The image should be as large as possible — at least the width of the calendar. The image can be 72 dpi (which is a primary default), but at that resolution it has has to be big. At 72 dpi and once changed to 300 dpi in scanning, the image will be one-quarter the size submitted. Example: If the image at 72 dpi is 12 inches wide, and is converted up to 300 dpi, the photo will be 3 inches wide and too small to use.
Submissions can be made via e-mail (email@example.com), or sent on CD/DVD, or sent to our ftp site (ftp://ftp.krause.com/). All digital submissions must have the year/make/model and owner’s name in its subject line, or the submission will not be considered for publication.
Do not submit a slide made from a photograph. The resulting image is too grainy to use when enlarged to calendar page size.
Please send submissions to:
Old Cars 2012 Calendar
Attn: Ron Kowalke
700 E. State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
More Resources For Car Collectors
- Classic car price guides, research, books, back issues of Old Cars Weekly & more
- Get expert restoration advice for your classic car
- Get car pricing, data and history all in one place
- Sign up for Old Cars Weekly's FREE email newsletter
- Need to buy or sell your classic car? Looking for parts or memorabilia? Search our huge online classified marketplace