Items related to The Fonz, Elvis and Tom Cruise PLUS
never-before-released Mattel die-cast collectibles to be offered for charity
As Southern California prepares for the Los Angeles Auto Show, Mattel, Bonhams and the Petersen Automotive Museum announce two special events showcasing collectible cars for the young and young at heart.
Nov. 11-12, fans of cars both big and small -- from celebrity-owned cars and motorcycles to 1:55 scale die-cast vehicles inspired by the Disney*Pixar film "Cars" -- can kick their love for all things "cars" into high gear with a preview of these special events.
International auction house Bonhams, the world's leading auctioneers of motorcycles, will also host a preview on Nov. 11 of the celebrity cars and motorcycles that will go up for auction at the upcoming Classic California Sale on Nov. 12. Highlights include the classic 1949 Triumph Trophy TR5 Scrambler Custom ridden by The Fonz in the hit series Happy Days (pictured) and once owned by legend Bud Ekins to the more modern Ex-Tom Cruise 2004 Lexus Concept Car from the film Minority Report.
Adding to the high-speed fun, hand-built plastic prototypes of never produced in die-cast Disney*Pixar Cars characters Albert Hinkey "Buffet Master", Doug "R.M.", and Clayton Gentlebreeze; displayed alongside die-cast racers in a Piston Cup Race scene, will be offered from Mattel. Proceeds to benefit the Robert E. Petersen Free School Bus Program, which provides free transportation to the Petersen Automotive Museum for schools in underserved communities. Visit www.petersen.org.
In celebration of their Disney*Pixar Cars die-cast vehicles collection, Mattel, the #1 toy maker, will unveil From Silver Screen to Die-cast: Disney*Pixar Cars Imagined by Mattel, a comprehensive exhibit showcasing the history of its Cars die-cast collection. Located within the Petersen Museum's "Hollywood Gallery," this special six-month exhibit offers families and Cars collectors an entertaining and informative glimpse into Mattel's blockbuster toy line.
Highlight of Bonhams Classic California Sale include:
- Disney*Pixar Cars Albert Hinkey "Buffet Master", Doug "R.M.", and Clayton Gentlebreeze hand-built, never produced in die-cast vehicle prototypes
- 1949 Triumph Trophy TR5 Scrambler Custom ridden by The Fonz in the television hit series Happy Days and once owned by legend Bud Ekins
- 1955 Cadillac Series 75 Fleetwood Limousine purchased new by Elvis Presley (pictured)
- Ex-Tom Cruise 2004 Lexus Concept Car from the film Minority Report
- 1967 Triumph TR6 "Desert Sled" motorcycle currently owned by singer 'k.d. lang'
- 1994 Toyota Supra Custom featured in the movie The Fast and the Furious
Bonham auction begins on Saturday, Nov. 12 at 10 a.m. For absentee bidding information and details on the sale visit: www.bonhams.com/petersen