TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. _ Hagerty Insurance recently announced its partnership with the inaugural Arizona Concours d’Elegance for NextGen Autofest, a three-day festival inviting youth to learn about and enjoy collector vehicles. Bringing together industry groups including the RPM Foundation, Worldwide Auctioneers, McPherson College, America’s Car Museum and others, the Arizona Concours NextGen Autofest aims to invigorate the Concours scene by celebrating and sharing America’s love affair with the automobile with the next generation.
The festival will take place in coordination with the annual Arizona Concours d’Elegance, Jan. 13-15.
“There is a popular belief that young people don’t like cars anymore,” says McKeel Hagerty, CEO of Hagerty. “We see a different story. While attitudes and preferences do change with each generation, we see a very large and growing population of young people who are interested and want to get involved with automotive activities. Because of this, we are excited to partner with the Arizona Concours’ NextGen Autofest to foster the magic connection between people and cars.“
The NextGen Autofest will host nearly 200 students as they participate in a variety of activities including hands-on workshops during the Hagerty Test Garage, learning to drive manual transmission classic cars through the Hagerty Driving Experience and taking to the Concours field during the Hagerty Youth Judging program. Hagerty experts and collectors will provide students with insight, skill and guidance during their demonstrations.
The planned schedule is as follows:
Day 1: Friday, January 13 – Hagerty Test Garage (School Day, invitation only)
Overview: The Hagerty Test Garage will be host to more than 120 local 5th grade students that will learn a variety of automotive skills through hands-on STEAM-related (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) stations.
- Auctions in Action Worldwide Auctioneers presents the basics of the automotive auction industry. Students learn the valuation and appreciation aspects of classic cars while participating in a mock auction featuring Brooklin® model cars.
- Cars and Math Using The Great Race automotive event as a platform, students will learn about time-speed-distance rallying and the quick-thinking skills necessary to navigate their way.
- Alternative Energy Hosted by America’s Car Museum, an example of an early electric car, such as a Detroit electric, and a current electric car will be the centerpiece for discussion around ‘Energy through the Ages.’
- Automotive History Collector Alan Travis will present an overview of automotive history and competition using a 1907 Renault, 1909 Delage, 1913 Bugatti and 1915 Scripps Vitesse to illustrate.
- Racing Students will compete in slot car races enjoying a hands-on activity following the presentation of automotive competition.
Day 2: Saturday, January 14 – Cars, Kids & Collectors (open to the public)
Location: Scottsdale Auto Museum – 6440 E. McDowell Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85257
Overview: Day two features a gathering of local collector cars, educational opportunity displays and the Hagerty Driving Experience. Schedule:
- 'Cars, Kids and Collectors’ (8:30 am – 1 pm) Join us for coffee, classics and camaraderie – visit with local car clubs, owners, museums and educational institutions.
- Hagerty Driving Experience (pre-registration required) (9 am – 4 pm) Young drivers (ages 15–25) get behind the wheel of cool classic cars to learn to operate a manual transmission.
- RPM Foundation Flash Seminars (10 am - 11 am) The RPM Foundation’s mission is accelerating the growth of the next generation through restoration, preservation and mentorship. Topics will include "Yes, Restoration Is a Career Path - Jobs & Shops" and "Blueprint for Success: It's Never Too Early to Plan Your Career in Restoration."
- Early Access Auction Preview (11:30 am – 1 pm) Preview Worldwide Auctioneer’s offerings that will sell on Wednesday, January 18th.
Day 3: Sunday, January 15 - Arizona Concours d’Elegance (admission ticket required)
Location: Arizona Biltmore – 2400 E. Missouri Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85016