Lot No 406: 1915 Harley-Davidson 11F with sidecar. Estimate: $30,000-$40,000.
LOS ANGELES – With a long history of representing the legends of Hollywood at its annual Classic California Auction, Bonhams & Butterfields will offer the collection of famed racer, stuntman and Triumph dealer Bud Ekins on Nov. 13 at the Petersen Automotive Museum.
Highlights from the collection include cars, motorcycles, personal never-before-seen photographs, trophies, posters, memorabilia, tools and racing jackets, as well as ephemera from best friend and collaborator Steve McQueen.
Four- and two-wheeled machines on offer include several cars painted and pinstriped by famed Ekins employee Von Dutch and sidecars that were featured in classic films such as The Wild One, The Great Escape and Pearl Harbor. Highlights include:
- 1905 REO Roadster, painted by Von Dutch
- 1908 REO Tourer, painted by Von Dutch
- 1908 Delaunay-Belleville H4 Double Phaeton, ex-Bill Harrah, painted by Von Dutch
- 1915 Harley-Davidson 11F with Sidecar
- 1918 Cleveland Single
- 1925 Harley-Davidson JD
- 1936 Harley-Davidson VL Police
- 1937 Harley-Davidson UL
In addition to the one-of-kind items from the Bud Ekins Collection, Bonhams & Butterfields will offer a diverse selection of motorcars and motorcycles from around the country. Two notable highlights include a 1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster Convertible and a pristinely restored 1967 Volkswagen Samba 21-window Bus.
American muscle cars by Corvette, Chrysler, Hudson, Mercury, Mustang and Plymouth will also be represented within the sale as well as British marques and prominent European brands. Select highlights include cars from Armstrong Siddeley, Austin, Bantam, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, FIAT and Porsche.
Motorcycles featured within the 2010 Classic California Auction include models from Bimota, Ducati, Honda, Matchless and Norton, as well as a Valentino Rossi Yamaha R1 to be offered to benefit Riders for Health.
The renowned Bonhams Classic California Auction will be held at the Petersen Automotive Museum on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles on Saturday, November 13th. For more information or to order an auction catalog and register to bid in person or remotely, go to bonhams.com/petersen.
More Resources For Car Collectors
- Classic car price guides, research, books, back issues of Old Cars Weekly & more
- Get expert restoration advice for your classic car
- Get car pricing, data and history all in one place
- Sign up for Old Cars Weekly's FREE email newsletter
- Need to buy or sell your classic car? Looking for parts or memorabilia? Search our huge online classified marketplace